Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Today I will find a job...

That was the name of one of my favorite albums by a little-ole group by the name of Protein.I used to rock out to them at Slim's and such as a younger, wilder Amy back in the day. This older and more mature Amy has a husband, a baby, a graduate degree, (thankfully no mortgage) and is turning 30 in 34 days(ouch!). She also has, as of yesterday, a JOB. Looks like I'm growing up just in time for my 30s. My start date is exactly one week before the big 3-0.

"Hey wait," you say, "where's the stuff about Micah?" Suffice it to say Micah is going to experience some major changes in the coming weeks. We are hoping to ease him into it though. My new employer is exceedingly child-friendly and is willing to be flexible as we sort out (yikes!) day care.

So a word on day care. Nothing says, "Holy sh*t! I'm an adult," than having to contend with the likes of childcare. I swear this is more life changing than Micah's birth! And is it only that I am now paying attention, or have day care facilities always been negligent, death traps? I mean, I was never a fan of secret cameras until I had to think about sending my own flesh and blood into the unknown arms of effectively a stranger. Furthermore, my neighbor told me a horror story about the used hypodermic needle found in the sandbox of his son's UC Berkeley day care located across the street from the city's needle exchange program. Now as a public health person, I am a huge fan of needle exchange, but geez people?! Across the street from a day care??? Now THAT's some city planning for you.

I'm exaggerating, of course. All the testimonials of amazing, caring and attentive nannies and childcare centers on Berkeley Parents Network can attest to that. But how do we choose? Furthermore how do we get in? The wait lists are months long! Any Micah-sitters out there?

2 comments:

JoSco said...

Congrats!!! Tell us more!!! That NY Times article is about a place that no longer exists in our very hood, by the way. You want my nanny? She's available... My mom wanted me to mention that while it sucks to leave me with someone else, you will totally adjust and enjoy having adult time again, too :) Yea, Amy!!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the job! Don't forget that Jen and I and baby are moving out to San Francisco... I was looking forward to doing some stitching and bitching with you while our significant others were out bringing home the bacon, but I guess that's not to be. To bad. Micah is more than welcome to come visit, though (he is big enough to ride the BART by himself now, isn't he?) .