Thursday, May 31, 2007

ch-ch-ch-changes

Micah had his first full week of day care (in his case that is Tuesday-Thursday, from 9-5) and well, he seems different. Is it him? Is it us? Is he fighting one of the many colds he will inevitably get from being socialized with other kids 25 hours a week? Is it his age and that he is turning one in 10 days? Would he be acting like this anyway, despite daycare?

We have lots of questions. What is clear is that he is adjusting well while in daycare, perhaps it is just us that isn't. I am probably just misplacing some buried guilt that I have and am reading waaaaay too much into every gesture, noise or look he gives me but I swear he actually seems shy with us when he comes home. It's like he needs a readjustment period to realize that we are indeed, his primary care-givers. He also shoots me these near-defiant big boy glances of indifference (like he doesn't need me anymore!). He also can be so sedate it almost scares us. He just stares and watches us like he is studying us or something. It's weird.

That being said, he is also making all sorts of GREAT sounds and vocalizations. We had a big "Hi!" followed by a waving frenzy this afternoon. When he is standing you can see him pondering a step--though he hasn't taken the plunge yet (at least not that WE are aware of--we specifically asked the daycare provider to NOT tell us when he walks) and he has practically forgone classic crawling on his hands and knees for this hilarious hands and feet hominid like hybrid. He is also, and perhaps this will not come as a shocker, an avid CLIMBER! Cr*p!

Well that's the Micah-update because I know inquiring minds want to know. Oh and
sorry for the older picture. We never see our child anymore during waking hours to take his photo.

1 comment:

JoSco said...

hang in there, tia! Mom was always reading into all my interactions with the nanny, with her after the nanny left, etc. but basically, I change my moods so fast, it became obvious over time that most of it was just me going through different phases that I probably would have gone through with or without the child care. I was also so cranky and sleepy by the end of the day that I wasn't exactly the most affectionate baby around, to anyone...