Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Catching up Part 3: The third month



First off the stats: At his 2 month (plus a week) check up he weighed in at 14 lbs 8 oz and 24.5". That equated to 95th percentile for both weight & height. Of course he is also a pinhead (seriously: below 50th percentile for head circumfrence)

So I finally picked up a baby development book and lo and behold...Micah is right on target. Hand play characterizes this month and man, has he ever found his hands. The sound of contented finger sucking is often back ground noise. He is particularly fond of stuffing both his little thumb and index finger into his mouth at the same time.

Oh...and I'm officially a horrible mother. I was clipping his wee finger nails (the ones that seem to grow a full centimeter over night) and well, I clipped the tip of his pinky finger. Yes, I drew blood. You can imagine how I felt. If only he wasn't so spastic and flailing his arms about all the time scratching his face, I'd just let them grow.

Oh and the noises are just too cute for words. He is very verbose. Coos and exaggerated sighs. Little conversations with himself. Zack swears he heard him say, "gingham" (He also thinks he heard him say, "enema" for that matter). He has this wonderful deep laugh that I wish I could bottle.

We have begun to take Micah out for short spins in his awesome BOB stroller (Stop with the disapproving looks, already! We realize everyone says wait until 6 months, but the manufacturer claims it is safe from birth up. He is a strong boy and is holding his head quite well, certainly well enough to cruise smoothly on some pavement. Besides, he loves it).

The other amazing thing about this month is that he actually has started holding on to you. It brought tears to my eyes the first time I felt his little arm around my neck holding on as I carried him around.

No comments: