Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Resurrected for the first day of kindergarten!

Hmmm...I guess it has been a while. So long in fact that our baby has matured to academic standing. Our first born had his first day of kindergarten today and it went just lovely. I am one proud mama, and even prouder that I did not shed a tear (there was never any concern that Micah would). Micah has been super excited about his school for months, approaching the whole affair with absolute conviction that he was going to love it.

Here he strikes a pose with his new robot backpack before we headed to (late) kindergarten.

Note to the State: could you please allow children to stay in school longer than 3 hours and 20 minutes right in the smack middle of the work day, please? Thanks, working mothers everywhere.

Waiting to go inside with his buddy Sawyer:

Despite his eagerness and excitement at home, I'd characterize his attitude as cool on the actual day. Just taking it all in with calm interest.
I watched (painfully) as his brunette table-mate vocalized her every thought and showcased her self-portrait publicly (she reminded me of a certain bossy brunette kindergartener 29 years ago). I predict she will suck him in and it will not be an auspicious seating arrangement. I always did get in trouble for talking in class.

The assignment was to draw your first day of school self-portrait:
Micah was apparently a green lego alien on his first day of school:

Now I also watched as the pretty blue eyed Russian girl sat next to him (the one in the adorable school-girl outfit I admired earlier) primly(and quietly) doing her drawing. Score Micah! She is pretty darn cute.
Micah also reports that they did not have to write any numbers or letters, contrary to his expectations.

Best part of the day: celebratory smoothie after-school:

Memorable quote of the day recorded for posterity to be thrown back in his face some day soon: "I wanted homework!"




No comments: