Friday, September 11, 2009

metamorphoses

A few weeks ago I spotted this cocoon in the mini-palm right outside Micah's window:Next we found another cocoon hanging from the hinge of our screen door, along with a discarded cocoon (shown above in Micah's hand) and several caterpillars.

A few days ago I noticed one more on one of the big palms out front. Yesterday the tree shed a frond layer, opening up its giant pod, which unfurled an appendage of creepy white tentacles studded with purple berries. Looking up at it I noticed several more cocoons, two of which are visible in the picture below. (Cue the shrieking psycho music.)
No beetles, but still--never was our front yard so Kafka-esque.

Perhaps the Great Spirit-Monkey is heralding upcoming changes for our two boy-chrysalises.

*I'm pretty sure that they are Monarch Butterfly cocoons. I don't know what kind of palm tree we have. There are many varieties that grow around here with different looking nuts, and I've long wondered if any of them were good for eating, but I haven't had any luck identifying them. Perhaps I should check w/ the folks at the palm plantation that I pass on my daily commute.

Update: I just found two more, right outside Micah's window.

1 comment:

great aunt Marilyn said...

What luck that you have found the cocoons so near you. When we were living in Michigan I found the eggs of the Monarch under the leaves of Milkweed plants. I took some home for the kids to see and we watched them hatched and grow by feeding them milk weed leaves. A task that required me to drive around to every road side weed patch to collect the milkweed leaves. The cocoon in your hand look just like the ones the caterpillars made. I think of the cocoon as one of nature’s fine jewelry. It is a stunning fresh green with a circle of beautiful gold spots at the top. The cocoons turn clear when the butterfly emerges and it is absolutely fascinating to see the butterfly come out and pump its wings to unfold them. Since I was on the conservation board at the time the butterflies were released in an area that we had been rehabilitating back to its original native start. It was gratifying to see monarch butterflies in the area’s field next year.

Great aunt where “great” does not necessarily mean old